‘PM Modi compromised, can’t renegotiate’: Rahul Gandhi after US Supreme Court strikes down levies

· Scroll

A day after the United States Supreme Court struck down global tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said that Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been “compromised”. The remarks were an apparent reference to the interim trade agreement between New Delhi and Washington.

Visit asg-reflektory.pl for more information.

“[Modi’s] betrayal now stands exposed,” the leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha said in a social media post. “He cannot renegotiate. He will surrender again.”

In April 2025, US President Donald Trump imposed “reciprocal” tariffs on dozens of countries, including India, claiming that the countries imposed high tariffs on US goods. The levies were eventually reduced once bilateral trade deals were agreed upon, including in the case of India.

As per the framework for a deal with India that was agreed to on February 2, US tariffs on Indian goods would be reduced to 18% from a combined rate of 50%. The earlier rate of 50% had included a punitive levy of 25% imposed in August over India’s purchase of Russian oil.

At the time as well Gandhi had claimed that Modi had been “compromised”, alleging that the prime minister had “sold out” the “sweat and blood” of the country’s farmers by buckling under pressure from the US to finalise a trade deal.

On Friday, the US Supreme Court, in a 6:3 verdict, struck down the global tariffs imposed by...

Read more

Read full story at source